It has been a long while since I posted anything anime related on tBPII. However, a little while back, I did a small preview on my tumblr blog of what I elected to put on my 2012 Spring Anime check-out list. I thought it’d be good to post it here. Well, after watching the 1st episodes from the said list that has already aired (with the exception of Hyouka), you can bet there are changes on what I finally pick for my Spring anime viewing line-up.
Edited [16-Apr]: Audio for “Hiiro no Kakera OP – Nee” by Maiko Fujita is now included.
::THE BEFORE AIRING LIST::
Plan to Watch:
Sakamichi no Apollon
Tasogare Otome x Amnesia
Fate/Zero S2 (Sequel)
Hiiro no Kakera
Kuroko no Basuke
::The AFTER AIRING LIST::
OP: Tsurezure Monochrome [Fujifabric]
ED: Sora mo Toberu Hazu [Sayonara Ponytail]
– Hook, Line, Sinker… 1st episode draws me in and wowed me straight away. What’s more, it made me laugh. I love the brightly coloured animation. The characters intro and the voice acting is just spot on. It isn’t too over the top but it isn’t muted and understated either. Yuki is adorable in his own manic way and Alien-kun is hilarious and mysterious in an amusing way. Granny is a funky hipster to boot. The music gels wonderfully well with the wacky atmosphere of the show. I’m so watching this one to see how the odd group of characters plan to save the world. Now the question is, what are they saving it from? Fishy alien invasion?
OP: Sakamichi no Melody [YUKI]
ED: Altair [Hata Motohiro]
– Coming of age dramedy sprinkled with possible slice of romance, incorporating Jazz music as the backdrop? I’m in before it even begins and I thoroughly enjoy what this show has offered in its 1st episode. Although the music element is not so strongly obvious in its debut, what was presented is wonderfully subtle and rightly so, to complement the mood and tone of the episode. The character designs and settings are realistic and gorgeous. In some instances, the character art reminded me of ‘Paradise Kiss’. Kaoru and Sentaro played off each other well in terms of their differing personalities and that was wonderful to watch especially when the dialogue is well scripted. Everything feels natural as it should be. Like Tsuritama, I want to see more. One week wait is too long!
OP: Feel So Moon [Unicorn]
ED: Subarashiki Sekai [Rake]
– How could I not like this especially after I was so taken in by Level E? 😆 This is another dramedy that has a good story to tell. The brotherly rivalry to see who is first to make their dream come through, aliens, space travel, the ups and downs of life, trying to make something of yourself, aspirations… yup, it reminds viewers of some parts of their child hood and adult hood and it is wonderfully told in the 1st two episodes that have aired. I’m on board to see whether Mutta achieves his goal (or not).
OP: Borderland [Kawada Mami]
ED: Ambivalentidea [Yanagi Nagi]
– I reckon somewhere in the list there’ll be an action anime and this is one I picked to watch. The outright action scenes certainly are impressive. The character designs are interesting, especially that of KoKo and Jonah. And Iwasaki Taku is once again helming the music. He has been lackluster in the music department of late. Hopefully, Jormungand will spark some form of revival for him. If the 1st episode is any indication, he’s appears to be doing something right. I love the team dynamics in play here and KoKo has a deadly sense of humour. What is it about her that keeps the team together as a tight unit? Looking forward to see where this is going indeed.
OP: Can Do [Granrodeo]
ED: Start it right away [Hyadain]
– I didn’t expect to include a Sports anime in my watch list but I did. I haven’t watch anything sports themed since OFURI (somehow *Chihayafuru* doesn’t count) and since I like basketball, I ended giving Kuroko’s debut episode a shot. I gotta say I like it more than I thought I would. Well that and my liking the blue-hair titular lead character whose shadow play amused me much. 😆 The main characters are interesting and engaging enough to make me want to continue watching it.
OP: Esoragoto [nano.RIPE]
ED: Above your hand [Annabel]
– The premise is interesting enough for me to want to follow it on a ‘when I can’ basis. Rea, the lead female, seemed to have a tough life and her wanting to be dead is a sad thing. It does not help matters that she lives with a father who has a creepy fetish of photographing her in the nude. Not sure how being an undead would help eased her out of the situation.
OP: Choir Jail [Suzuki Konomi]
ED: Karandorie [Aki Okui]
– This is another supernatural themed anime after Sankarea that I opt to watch at leisure. I guess it is because I’m interested in knowing how the main character Yuuko, died.
OP: Nee [Maiko Fujita]
ED: Kono Te de Idaki Tomeru kara [Shuhei Kita]
– Why am I keeping this on my leisure watch-list? For O-chan, of course. :LOL:
Shelved for the moment:
OP: Chase the world [MAY’N]
ED: Unfinished [KOTOKO]
– Dull first episode. Didn’t excite me as much as I initially thought it would. Maybe it’ll get better and I’ll pick it back up.
OP: Jisei-kai ~Toki Sekai [Kanae Itou, Mai Aizawa and Shiori Mikami]
ED: Fuwaffuwa no Mahou [Kanae Itou, Mai Aizawa and Shiori Mikami]
– Not really feeling it at this stage, pan or not. Kamiyan voicing 2 characters is hmm… surprising though.
Yet to Air:
By the looks of things, it is certainly shaping up to be a very good Spring harvest. And if the noitaminA shows continue their strong momentum moving forward, the best anime of 2012 might be from this very block.